Thursday, July 17, 2008

Lighten Up

Temperature at departure = 74° F (23° C)

Perhaps I missed it; is today National Humorlessness Day?

1) I took to the streets for the first part of my commute this morning so I could run a couple errands. I was turning off Lowell onto a side street which forced a guy in a double cab pickup to have to wait at his stop sign for an additional 3 seconds. As I rounded the corner he said “Get off the road jackass.” Without thinking about it I just laughed and kept riding.

For the first 17 years we were married my wife and I lived on the Missouri side of the state line, however, we have been back on the Kansas side for 8 years or so. Although I can sometimes be accused of being as stubborn as a Missouri mule, the Kansas state animal is the American Buffalo. I’ll admit I was buffaloed by his comment but perhaps he is from Minnesota (state bird = loon).

2) Back on the bike/hike path I was on a long, open, downhill stretch when I had the following encounter with a woman walking a dog with a retractable leash:

WT’s bell: Ding, ding, ding. (no response)
WT’s bell: Ding, Ding, Ding! (wwdwrl turns head and retracts the dog who sits down next too her)
WT: Good Morning.
WWDWRL: Good boy.
WT: Thank you.

Let’s just say her response was less than polite, but, for the record, I prefer the term “smart-alec.”

No comments: