Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Temperature at departure = 43° F (6° C)
Temperature upon arrival = 33° F (1° C)

It was 53° when I woke up so we're dropping about 10° an hour. Actually, my ride in was only about 20 minutes long in which time we dropped 10°. Winds were gusting to around 32 MPH but weren't too much of a factor. The ride home should see temperatures around 20° and they say winds will be gusting to 45 - 50 MPH. I'm doing my best to reverse my wimp status of last week...



Continuing the theme ... here is the XYZ Bike in the bike rack at work. Another Lonely Bike Club day. I double checked with Curtis last night and he says his WAS the only bike at school on Monday. I'm going to have to come up with a way to encourage more of the kids (more likely, their parents) to ride to school.

3 comments:

dvicci said...

I, for one, don't consider you a wimp. Everyone has their threshold, and those that would label another "wimp" for not matching their own threshold are small indeed.

That said, 45-50 will be interesting tonight, especially with a temp around 20°F.

Let's see... according to the NWS, that makes for about a -3 degree ride home.

That should eliminate any self evaluation as wimp.

Yokota Fritz said...

A few years ago we had a big long discussion on the ICEBIKE list about whether windchill is a valid measure for cyclists. First of all, our movement can add to or subtract from the wind speed. Our individual internal thermal resistance will be higher because we're on the move. We're probably wearing windproof clothing, which renders the thermal barrier thing upon which wind chill is based almost completely moot.

Still, 40 mph wind is nothing to sneeze at in sub-freezing weather, especially for exposed skin surfaces. No one will say you're wimping out if you decide to, umm, wimp out.

Warren T said...

Yeah, I never pay attention to Wind Chill or Heat indexes. Like you said, in the winter my body heat cancels out the wind chill and in the summer the wind chill cancels out my body heat. The adventure is having the wind trying to blow you over into traffic.