Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The 2 Mile Challenge

I'm sure some of you may be familiar with Clif Bar's 2 Mile Challenge, but I came across this again recently and thought I'd share it. This would make a wonderful New Year's resolution for someone.



Some of the data from the video:

  • In the U.S., 40% of all trips are 2 miles or less.
  • 90% of those trips are by car.
  • If 1 out of 10 car commuters switched to a bike, CO2 emissions would be reduced by 25.4 million tons per year.
  • The U.S. has the highest per capita bicycle ownership in the world.
  • But it's at the bottom of the list for using them.
  • If 1 million people replaced a 2 mile car trip once a week with a bike ride, CO2 emissions could be reduced by 50,000 tons per year.

More information is available at their website. Try entering your address and see what trips you could make by bike within your two mile radius. I love this idea; it's one of the reasons I've been biking in the snow lately -- to show people it can be done.

[Spoilers: I'll be talking about this a bit more in my next XYZ Bike post on CommuteByBike. Also, I'll be posting this at CBB later tonight.]

1 comment:

karen said...

Fabulous! This is the reason I've ridden my bike the 4 miles a day round trip to work most days for the past two plus years. As a detail nut, ( I keep track of my rides), I've ridden 1,312 miles on my bike that would have been in a car. Not bad. But, the important part is, I still say "Wheeeee..." as I'm zooming down the big hill by my house. It's sooo much fun. All those drivers don't know how much fun they're missing!