Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Hooray ... Oh, Wait.

Temperature at departure = 30° F (-1° C)

On the commute home last night, I was thrilled to finally see the sign saying the temporary detour for the Overland Park Bike Path was finally done. Originally scheduled for August completion, they kept moving it back month by month.

In my opinion, they’ve still got some work to do. Here are a few photos which I took this morning on the way in; imagine what this was like in the dark… There are a few more HERE for those who think they might want to ride this soon. Here is the entrance to the bike path/sidewalk on the bridge over 435 – the green stuff is rebar.

The middle of the bridge has an open bag of cement in the middle of the path. The end of the bridge has dirt and a big wad of what I can only guess to be lane tape. Once across the bridge, here’s what you have to hike over to get back on the sidewalk.

I have to admit, I like the tunnel under the Antioch bridge.


You’ll need to be careful though as there are some big chunks of concrete just outside and your night vision is going to be gone when you exit the tunnel. Lots of dirt clods to dodge and then there were two places where small tree limbs are growing pretty much all the way across the path. Here is one I caught in the headlights just in time to stop.

And then, at the end of the detour, the path closed sign has just been tipped over.

So, I think they’re close – but it is not quite ready for prime time. I’m sending a note to the people I’ve contacted before and am going to include the picasa link so they can see the actual status of the path. In the mean time, I can take riding in traffic in the dark a little longer to avoid all the obstacles.

No comments: