Tuesday, October 03, 2006

"You must be crazy."



I've had a wonderful few days off. Thursday I headed up to KSU to take Peter to lunch for his birthday, back in time for high school parent teacher conferences, done in time for cub scouts and finished with that in time to make it back to South to see the play Katie has been working on. Friday saw more parent teacher conferences at the middle school, got some bike riding in with Curtis, grade school "Fall Family Mixer" and then fell asleep while attempting to watch Munich.

Saturday was beautiful and the perfect weather for the Overland Park Parade. This year our Cub Scout pack didn't have a float so we decided to just go and watch Katie march. Peter had made it home for the weekend and he, Curtis and I decided to ride our bikes to the parade; only a three mile ride and that way we wouldn't have to hassle with trying to find a place to park... We saw several people from the kid's schools and several times got the comment "You rode your bikes? You must be crazy." Some commented that they couldn't remember the last time they'd ridden. I think I've mentioned before that I get similar comments when Curtis and I walk or ride to his school which is only a half mile away. I don't know if they're jealous or if they think having kids walk or ride bikes is abusive.

With that in mind, I'd like to let everyone know that tomorrow, Wednesday October 4th, is International Walk To School Day. Here is a nice link to walktoschool.org that has some wonderful information about why it is a good idea. And no, I'm not crazy. I'm getting to spend some time with my kids doing something fun and healthy.

No comments: