Thursday, November 01, 2007

We Happy Few

Temperature at departure = 32° F (0° C)

Ah, first day of frost for the season. Crisp morning air, frost on the ground, steam rising from the stream and an absence of other riders and walkers on the path. Indeed, we're heading into a stretch of four or five months in which I'll have the path pretty much to myself.

During this morning's ride of 8 miles I saw a grand total of 7 pedestrians and no other cyclists. Once January and February roll around that number will be down to one - a retiree that I normally meet at the same point every morning. Sure, I'd love to see more people out on their bikes, but there is a selfish side that likes to have the route all to my lonesome...

People will start calling those of us that commute in this type of weather "hard core" in about another four weeks. As a bonus today, someone swept the path completely clean of all the debris in this area:


I've decided that in a case like this, where I can ride as fast or as slowly as I like without being impeded, the path becomes my private cyclobahn.

Now, with apologies to Shakespeare:

And gentlemen in Overland Park now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That rode with us upon this crisp day.

No comments: