Monday, October 29, 2007

Indian Creek Trail Construction Update

Temperature at departure = 40° F (4° C)

Rather than sit around and surf the net during lunch, I decided it was much too beautiful outside and so suited up, grabbed the bike and hit the trail to put in a few miles. I've been curious about the status of the section of the Indian Creek Trail bike path that runs from Founders Park along the north side of 435 to the tunnel under Antioch. That stretch has been closed due to construction for a couple years and according the the OP web site:

"The trail is scheduled to be fully reopened by November 2007."

If you check the Winter update page, it says the trail "within the construction area will continue to be closed through 2007."

That is the one I believe. In looking at the section of the trail just past the tunnel under Antioch I'd be willing to bet on Spring or Summer of 2008 for that section to be re-opened. I ride past the signs on the Founders Park side twice a day and curiousity got the best of me today. There was no Man In the Yellow Hat to ask and Warren was curious; what did the path on the other side of that sign look like?

Here is the initial barrier.



58 yards down the path I was met with a Boma of fallen branches and brush that was quite effective in preventing me from going further. (I know it is tough to see -- for some reason my camera's phone switched settings on me...)


I don't know if you can see it in this camera phone shot, but about another 50 yards down the path there is a yellow caution ribbon and then it looks like construction equipment beyond that. So much for my lunch time adventure.

1 comment:

Noah said...

Should have brought out a Mountain Bike. :)

I usually don't let things like a 4-foot-barrier of branches or yellow tape stop me. For shame.