Monday, April 02, 2007

Spirits Not Dampened

Temperature at departure = 56° F (13° C)

Well, we survived. The rain Friday night was sometimes in-tents ... [insert mental rim shot now]. I could have sworn that at one point around 2 a.m. that a couple of fire hoses had been pointed at my tent and opened up full blast. In February the troop doubled in size when it added 10 new scouts (one of them being my youngest). 9 of these new scouts were on the trip, so I was expecting several cases of home-sickness. I guess the good thing about torrential rains in the middle of the night is no one wants to get out of their tent to come over to tell you they want to go home.

Saturday morning the skies cleared off as a cold front blew in. Winds gusting to 50 mph sometimes dried things out quickly but made it a bit chilly. Another dad and I went with 5 of the older scouts on a 5.5 mile hike on the Rimrock Trail at Camp Naish , voted the best kick-your-(rear)-Hike in Kansas City. A mile and a half in I knew my boots were going to be an issue. Ended up with a pretty nasty sore spot on one heel but it was a beautiful time of year to hike the trail; just enough green on the trees to make it pretty but not enough to obstruct the view.

All in all it was a great time. I've said it before, you usually remember the campouts that you had to suffer through some adversity. No one sits around a campfire and talks about the time they had beautiful weather...

No comments: