Friday, December 28, 2007

The Road Less Traveled

Temperature at departure = 24° F (-4° C)

Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference
-Robert Frost - Road Less Traveled

I got up early and took my daughter out to breakfast for her 18th birthday. We got around 3" of additional snow overnight and none of it had been cleared off. As we were getting back in the car to head home she said "You're not riding in this, are you?" I told her I had three options:

  1. Have someone else take me to work driving in rush hour traffic with bad road conditions.
  2. Work from home and listen to the boys argue about video games all day long.
  3. Ride into work with people thinking I'm an idiot -- but having several opportunities to go "Wheeeeeeeee!"
As you can see, I went for option 3.

When I got home, my wife said "You're not riding in this, are you?" I explained the three options and told her that this is my adult version of going out and playing in the snow. So, I geared up and headed out. Sure enough, I hadn't riden 4 blocks before a couple guys standing outside shoveling snow were pointing at me and laughing. When I was out in traffic, people were giving me a LOT of space. The wildlife track of yesterday were missing as well as the little critters seem to have had more sense than I. When I got to the office, a guy I met at the door said "I think you may have had the safest form of travel today." Yep. The most fun form of travel too.


[Edited to add this LINK to Noah's post ... he's been having fun in this all along this winter.]

3 comments:

karen said...

Warren,
Your ride looks wonderful. It never occurred to me to ride in the snow. I'll give it a try next week! Slowly, though.
Karen

Yokota Fritz said...

Woo hoo! Riding in the snow is indeed amazing fun.

Illinoisfrank said...

Props to you for commuting in the snow. Here's my recent account of having some fun on the trails by me and comparing the relative benefits of a Surly Pugsley to a mountain bike.