Sunday, December 09, 2007

Dad's Dinner in a Dash

I hate this ice. There, I've said it. Oh, I'm still having to get out in it, just not on the bike. It was the same way the first part of last December.

Today I decided I would grill some quick burgers before we have to head out on errands and to Curtis' basketball game. Problem: the only ground beef I had available was in the freezer. What to do, what to do?

A few years ago, when I became the person who does most of the cooking at our house, I used to joke that I was going to write a cook book and call it What in the Heck am I Making With Hamburger Tonight? Well, for the short term I wasn't making anything. Then I decided to try to modify one of the recipes for an easy meal that we enjoy (and is great for camping). The original calls for ground beef, vegetables and two packages of Asian Ramen Noodles. I still had left over turkey, so:

Warren's in a Hurry Turkey Stuff

  1. Dice 3 cups of turkey and mix with the seasoning packet of one package of Chicken Ramen.
  2. In a skillet, mix 2 cups water, 2 cups of sliced and diced carrots and broccoli, the remaining seasoning packet and the two packages of Ramen noodles.
  3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for 3 minutes. Add turkey and cook another 3 minutes.
  4. Serve.

Pretty easy. It was only Katie, Curtis and I for lunch; I asked the kids if they liked it and was told it was "Okay." I feel the need to add that it all disappeared. So, if you still have some left over turkey that you've not figured out how you're going to use it up ... this might be worth a try if you're in a hurry.

No comments: