Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A Seven Mile Ride

I won't bore you with too many details. This weekend was tough. My brother, CAT and I spent Saturday and Monday going through things in my Dad's house getting ready to turn it over to a new owner within the next week or so.

CAT and I took Sunday to clear out space for some of the stuff that we're keeping and when she had to go to a gig later in the afternoon I was emotionally spent. I hopped on Bucephalus and under the pretense of running a book back to the library, I went on a short, seven mile ride. It helped.

It's not a spiritual thing for me. Broken down to it's base components a bike ride is going from point A to point B. I have to focus on the road. I have to focus on traffic. I have to make decisions about which route to take. I have to exert some physical energy. I get to smile as I coast down a tree lined hill at 26 MPH. I have to dodge squirrels every 100 feet or so. I get to wave and say hello to other cyclists and pedestrians. I am an encumbrance to a few drivers. I get to be away from the situations of life for a half hour.

I've got the next two days off and will be heading back over to Dad's in just a bit. I think I'll ride my bike.

2 comments:

Yokota Fritz said...

Tough stuff.

One of my friends lost his wife over the weekend after her long struggle with brain cancer. It's difficult to know what to say or do. I can't even imagine.

Tom said...

The ride may be mechanical, but it certainly helps you to process. There is something about the movement, the wind blowing in your ears- the wind refreshing.

It's pnuematic.