Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise

It was 103 degrees outside when I left the office last night to ride my bike home. I don’t know what the heat index was and I don’t want to know. I made sure I had my bottle full of ice (for now) water and headed home.

Surprise 1 – Just outside of the driveway for our building the road has a nice wooded area next to it where the first 3 or 4 feet are mowed and then there are weeds about 3 feet high. I startled one of the fauns that lives close by and for about 10 yards it ran right next to me about 3 feet away. Kinda cool.

Surprise 2 – To the owner of the building close to the Overland Park Convention Center where they’ve not quite got the angles on the sprinkler system figured out: Your error in calibration was much appreciated. The blast of cold water was shocking, but at 103 degrees with 20 minutes on the asphalt, WOW, it felt good.

Surprise 3 – So, I’m three houses away from my house when my youngest (10 years old) met me in the street with his friend and friend’s dad. They wanted to know if they could ride their bikes to the pool, but since the electricity was out … !?!? he couldn’t get his bike out of the garage. So, 104 degrees by now and no air conditioning I got the garage open, but without electricity the pool would be closed. They rode around for a bit and I made a HUGE glass of iced tea. Within an hour the power was back on.

A couple radio links that I’ve found over the last couple of days:

Tip of the hat to lifehacker.com for the link to yes.com is a nice little tool that allows you to enter your zip code and see what songs the stations in your area have played within the last 24 hours.

Short article on a station that is “selling their morning show” on eBay.

No comments: