Friday, March 30, 2012

Indian Creek Trail Closure at Switzer Extended to October 2012

[Note added November 1, 2012 -- I spoke with the Parks Department again today and they said that the construction date has now been pushed back to Spring 2013. For what it is worth, the Parks Department doesn't have much control over what KDOT is doing... If the winter is nice they might wrap it up earlier.]

I called the Parks Department yesterday to inquire as to when the trail would be re-opened since the original plan for March was about to expire and it looks like there is quite a bit of work left to do. I was told that the new date for completion is now, tentatively, set for some time in October.

I took a ride this morning to take some more pictures and, sure enough, they've updated the sign to say "Fall 2012." 


I don't know about you, but I'm not planning on this being open until December or January. That works out fine for me; I'm riding on roads to get some training in before Biking Across Kansas. I've lived through other closures on the ICT and I'll live though this one. Sure, I'll be happy when they finish the work and am sure the trail will be improved as a result.

Back in August I suggested a different route from the official detour on the 119th street sidewalk. Having tried my route along College Boulevard a week or so ago, I'm going to have to now recommend against it. There's too much construction on College which has closed a couple of lanes and the traffic is now too much of a risk for me. Proceed at your own risk.

Here are some other camera phone pictures from this morning. 




Yeah, it's going to be a while...

8 comments:

Jon V said...

I must not have been too far behind you that morning.... I was through there at about 10:30am and noticed the same thing.

I ended up working my way to Grant and took that to 119th. Made my way carefully down to where it met up with the trail just to the east of Quivira. Not the best route but it's workable. I definitely stopped at all of the intersections and waited for the lights.

Way too many people not paying attention to just cruise across the crosswalk.

Mike said...

Thanks for the update!

Here's a way to jump over to Tomahawk Creek trail and make a fun loop for those on the east side of the construction...
-If going west on ICT, take the detour (Grant St)
-Go up Grant (I get off Indian Creek Trail where they're working on the tennis courts) to 119th St.
-Across 119th and through residential streets to Antioch.
-Cross Antioch and cruise the sidewalk on the east side of Antioch across the bridge over 69hwy to W 127th St
-Turn east on w 127th and catch the trail at the end of 127th
-Follow the trail south and cross the bridge (going east) at 132nd St over 69hwy again
-Circle under the bridge you just cross and continue south and meet Tomahawk basically at 135th and 69hwy.
-Turn left to eventually return to ICT or turn right to explore Tomahawk Trail

Anonymous said...

I've only ridden the trail coming from Olathe, and have to turn around at Switzer. How long is the section that is closed? (i.e.) where would I hop on if I wanted to continue north/east?

Unknown said...

any news on how much longer this trail will be closed???

i had been taking the "bike detour" staying on the side walk. 119th to grant, then north on grant thru the neighborhood to the tennis court. that detour sucks. its up hill for 2 miles. there was some construction at 119th and 69. they had the side walk tore up. i don't know if it is, i'm sure it is.

now-a-days i stay on indian creek and ride past all the "trail closed signs over to switzer. i take switzer north to college. i ride college east about a half mile to just before grant. you can cut thru the grass and go down a hill and get back on the trail. much less detourey than the official detour.

Warren T said...

I talked with the Parks Department today and they said it now looks like "Spring or earlier."

Unknown said...

Any word on this? It was still closed as of 5/18/13 -- is the construction on US-69 the hold up?

Unknown said...

Any word on when this is going to be done? Was still closed on 5/18/13...

Warren T said...

I've got an updated post. KDOT says the closure is now scheduled through November 2013.